Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Marked...

My 10 year old daughter watched the movie Twilight and loved it. So she wanted to read it-that was fine with me because it really didn't have anything too explicit. I have talked to other parents and they have said they think that age is too young to read the Twilight series. I have no problem with that whatsoever. Well, I let my daughter read the first book-no need to worry-she didn't get past page 34. ( I have to fight with my daughter to read!) This would be the reason I didn't have a problem with her "reading" this book.
Maicie is really into the whole vampire thing-I understand completely! So she found a book series at Walmart that she wanted to start reading-great! We went to the library and placed a hold on the first book-Marked-the first book of the "House of Night" series. It came in the other day and we picked it up and I thought she would get to reading it right away. Nope! In my boredom while I was copying some CD's for the hubby, I picked up the book and started to read it. I am so glad I did!! Not because it is so well written, but because it refers to getting drunk, making out, blow jobs and cock! No I am not kidding you! Mind you this is suppose to be juvenille reading material-when I was that age, I was NOT talking about blow jobs or cock! (drinking and making out I will admit to-thinking about-no doing!) So while I was reading this book, I told my daughter she is way too young to be reading it-she will not be reading that kind of material while she is living in my house! I have only read the first book-there are three more- and I am afraid what is written in those! I realize I must sound like an overprotective mother that is sheltering the life of my daughter, but when is the "right" age to read about bj's and cock for anyone's daughter?

By the way, the Twilight series was written way better than this one. I will finish the series because I have started it, but I say it is mediocre compared to Meyer's ability to capture such deep emotion in her books.

1 comment:

Sissi M. said...

Holy crap! It's a good thing you happened to read it first or you would be having "the talk" right about now!